Welcome to the Boomer Blog, a community experience designed to help our fellow Boomers to FIND SOLUTIONS and SHARE SUCCESSES, relative to all things Boomer. The most important objective of this platform is to walk through a simple seven (7) step process to Re-Launch and Re-Energize your work-life with a CAREER BOOST regardless of your age and current employment status.
If you find yourself in the popular category of BOOMER WORKING, don’t despair and don’t feel like the Lone Ranger, Kemosabe. You’re in excellent company.
- The vast majority of all Boomers have no plans for retirement.
- Many Boomers are actually working because they enjoy the process.
- Others are working out of necessity and will continue working indefinitely.
- Most Boomers, as many individuals in any age group, are working in a long term assignment that would not be considered an inspiring and financially rewarding DREAM JOB.
YOUR CURRENT JOB MAY NOT BE THE ANSWER TO YOUR DREAMS IF IT:
- DOES NOT pay on a level commensurate with your abilities.
- DOES NOT realize nor require you use your full range of knowledge, skills, talents, passions and experience.
- DOES NOT challenge you to actively share the value of your distinctly Boomer work ethic.
- DOES NOT empower, excite or inspire you to claim and contribute to the company’s culture and success to the full extent of their abilities.
THE GOOD NEWS:
- WHILE THE REASON FOR THIS CONDITION, AS STATED ABOVE, IS EASY TO UNDERSTAND AND IT IS JUST AS EASY TO RESOLVE.
THE EXCELLENT NEWS:
- MOST OF YOUR (using the term loosely) COMPETITION IN THE JOB MARKET WON’T HAVE A CLUE THAT:
- THERE IS BOTH A PROBLEM AND A SIMPLE IMMEDIATELY ACHEIVABLE SOLUTION.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE, IN THE FIRST PLACE, FOR THIS FAILURE TO BE FULFILLED? THE EVIL EMPLOYER? (Not really):
The reason that many jobs are filled with over-qualified under utilized individuals is not the result of some evil scheme. Employers do their best to find the most qualified person to fill a hole in their operation. If you meet their needs, you get the job. They don’t ask “What else would you like to do?” They simply fill the need and get back to the business of doing business.
THE UNDER ACHIEVING EMPLOYEE? (Not likely):
The reality is that most people look for a job when the don’t have one or when they can’t stand the one they’re in. In either case, the desire to find ANY JOB, IMMEDIATELY, is often a motivating factor in the JOB SEARCH PROCESS.
IT’S AN UNFAIR QUESTION TO ASK “WHY DON’T THE JUST LEAVE AND FIND A BETTER JOB?”
While moving on would certainly be good advice for many millions of individuals, for the average employee, the need to avoid stress, frustration and disappointment is stronger than the desire for a better job. The major reason that most continue to work in a job they hate is that they see the challenge to change as more hopeless than the status quo. IT’S NOT!
LET’S DIG A LITTLE DEEPER AND ANSWER A QUESTION THAT WILL START SOME WHEELS SPINNING.
- HOW DID YOU LAND SUCH AN UNAPPEALING ASSIGNMENT IN THE FIRST PLACE?:
Do you remember what it was like looking for your first job. It may have been similar to the experience many of us had. We knocked on any door that looked like a business and asked if they were hiring. If the answer were yes, on a good day, we filled out an application, sailed through a short interview and accepted the job, whatever that was, even without clearly understanding the job description or the rate of pay. After all, at that time, any job was better than no job.
That is a common practice when we are novice job seekers with no experience (“We’ll take whatever they offer and like it!). Unfortunately and somewhat surprisingly, the search process remains very similar for the majority of seasoned workers in future job searches. Many are desperate, disorganized, unconfident, ill prepared and unaware that in order to find your dream job, you simply need to:
Our goal in this forum is to serve as a community centered QUESTIONS AND ACTIONS resource, where you can connect with individuals with similar challenges, experiences and successes. This is the very beginning of what can become an exciting global conversation all about the fine tuning, fast tracking and re-energizing the upcoming SECOND HALF of your life’s adventure.
As this platform grows, we can all look forward to LEARNING AND SHARING on a number of levels revolving around our analysis of common CHALLENGES, INTERESTS & LIFESTYLE OPPORTUNITIES. The direction of our dialogue will depend on your interests and participation. We will look forward to reading your comments and critiques.
In subsequent posts, I will introduce you to SEVEN (7) SIMPLE & STRATEGIC STEPS to your own CAREER BOOST at any age. I will share my own personal experience of multiple career boosts, including the most recent and excellent transition at the age of 64 ½, where I doubled my income and became a valuable member of an amazing organization.
The CAREER BOOSTING PROCESS is based on my forty (40) years in business management and as a CAREER BOOSTING COACH (both in English & Spanish). In an effort to share my experiences and offer assistance in a number of formats, depending on your personal preference, as we get to know each other in this forum, I will continue my preparation of several different presentations.
In each of the following formats, your questions, comments and personal challenges will serve to help us share the SOLUTIONS & INSPIRATIONS for our global community of JOB IMPROVEMENT SEEKERS. Here’s what we have in the works at the moment:
- It started with a book, which is in production and will be available in the near future in all formats:
- Print Book
As noted, we’ll begin this conversation as your blog developes. The final version of the book will be greatly influenced by your questions and comments. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and challenges and when we approach publication, I will offer you a chance to join our BETA READER TEAM.
When we near the end of the editing process, I will send interested Boomers a PDF copy of the final book. Before we push the publish button, your comments and observations will be greatly appreciated.
- For our friends who prefer an actual step by step course, our CAREER BOOSTING PROCESS will soon be introduced in an ONLINE COURSE, with video tutorials, downloadable workbook tools and access to our private community. I’m hard at work on this project, as well, and will keep you posted on the progress.
- With reference to our private community, we have created both a FaceBook page and a community to learn and share from a potentially global community of Experts and Employees interested in sharing information on our passion project. The two venues that are open and ready for your input are:
- THE BOOMER BLOG FaceBook Page: http://dlfreeman.com/TheBoomerBlog/FBpage
- THE ONE MINUTE MASTERMIND FaceBook Group: http://dlfreeman.com/TheOneMinuteMastermindGroup/FB
So, as you can see, we are working on a number of levels to translate my 40 years of experience and my passion for helping others to realize their full potential through coaching. Please feel free to connect with me through the contact form below, via email or any of our social media connections.
Here’s to your success and here’s one final thought that came to mind as I was feeling a bit poetic:
BOOM THAT! LET’S TALK ABOUT IT!